TRIM, STABILITY AND LOADING MANUALS (A SURVEY OF NEEDS USES AND IMPROVEMENTS)
This paper reviews the contents and purposes of stability, trim and loading manuals and proposes some changes that could be made to improve their value in view of present requirements for general cargo, container, barge carrying, bulk dry cargo and bulk liquid ships. The results of a survey questionnaire concerning the use of these manuals by shipboard personnel and the opinions of ship owners on their value is presented. Special needs of new designs are considered in such areas as high speed container ships, barge carrying ships, VLCC loading, grain shifting, computerization, strain gauges, damage control and maneuvering and seakeeping studies. Various techniques and format changes are presented and discussed as to their relative merits. Emphasis in the paper is placed on creating manuals of greater utility to shipboard personnel.
- Presented to the New York Metropolitan Section of SNAME, April 23, 1074, New York, N.Y.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Garzke, W H
- Johnson, R E
- Landsburg, A C
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 102 p.
- TRT Terms: Load shifting; Loading and unloading; Trim (Aeronautics)
- Old TRIS Terms: Damage stability; Load stability; Loading procedures; Trim
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00071672
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 12 1974 12:00AM