IEEE RECOMMENDED PRACTICE FOR ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS ON SHIPBOARD
Due to the differences between the requirements of the various Classification Societies and the Insurance Companies in regard to electric installations on shipboard, and the lack of any accepted standard engineering practice for marine installations, the AIEE in 1913 appointed the Marine Committee (now called Committee on Marine Transportation) to take up the preparation of standard marine rules. The first edition was prepared covering two important divisions; namely, fire protection requirements and marine construction requirements. They were Adopted by the American Bureau of Shipping and published as Section 37 of their Rules for the building and classing of vessels. "Recommended Practice for Electric Installations on Shipboard," IEEE Std 45-1971, constitutes the chief undertaking of the Committee on Marine Transportation of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. These installation standards cover the following: generating sets; storage batteries; switchboards; wire and cable construction; cable application and installation; distribution; conductors and apparatus in vicinity of the standard magnetic compass; distribution equipment; motors; motor application; electrically operated watertight and fire door equipment; control apparatus and application; brakes and their application; magnetic friction clutches; heating equipment; lighting equipment; navigation, signal and instrument lights; searchlights; emergency light and power systems; signal and communication systems; fire alarm systems; gyro compass equipment; gyro pilot; electronic communication and navigation equipment; marine galley equipment; additional recommendations for cargo vessels of the bulk oil carrier type; transformers; metallic rectifiers and ship tests. Propulsion equipment covers construction, installation, operation and maintenance: automatic control systems include system design and console design. Tables and drawings included.
- Prepared by the Committee on Marine Transportation of the the IEEE Industry and General Applications Group.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)3 Park Avenue, 17th Floor
New York, NY United States 10016-5997
- Publication Date: 1971
- Pagination: 187 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic control; Electric power; Electric power transmission; Electrical equipment; Electrical wiring; Regulations; Safety; Standards; System design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Safety regulations
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic control systems; Electric power system design; Electrical equipment standards
- Subject Areas: Energy; Law; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00057750
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Report/Paper Numbers: STD 45-1971
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 22 1974 12:00AM