THE EFFECT OF GEOMETRIC NONLINEARITIES ON THE CREEP BUCKLING TIME OF AXIALLY COMPRESSED CIRCULAR CYLINDRICAL SHELLS
A correction is given to the small-displacement theory of the axisymmetric creep buckling of axially compressed circular cylindrical shells. The correction takes into account the possibility of a non-axisymmetric elastic snap through in agreement with Koiter's theory after a sufficient amount of axisymmetric permanent deformation has developed in consequency of creep.
Stanford UniversityDepartment of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Stanford, CA USA 94305
- Hoff, N J
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 5 p.
- Issue Number: 29
- TRT Terms: Buckling; Creep; Cylinders (Geometry); Shells (Structural forms)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cylindrical shells
- Old TRIS Terms: Elastic shells
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00057114
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SUDAAR 416 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-67A-0112-0003
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1974 12:00AM