CRASH PROTECTION SYSTEMS FOR HANDICAPPED SCHOOL BUS OCCUPANTS. VOLUME I. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
A series of sled tests were conducted to determine the influence of five major parameters on the occupant protection of handicapped school bus passengers. The selected parameters were bus crash pulse, dummy size, wheelchair orientation, wheelchair securement type and passenger protection system. In the tests, both ambulatory and wheelchair seated occupants were simulated with anthropomorphic dummies, and padding and belt systems were evaluated in both large and small school buses. The parameters were established via baseline bus crash tests, a state of the art survey, and an accident data analysis. The present report describes the results, and analyses of the results, which show the influence of each parameter on occupant protection. The results provide a data base that could be effectively used in designing complete passenger protection systems for handicapped passengers in school buses.
- See also Volume 3, PB82-131756.
Minicars, Incorporated55 Depot Road
Goleta, CA United States 93117
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Khadikar, A V
- Will, E
- Costa, V
- Publication Date: 1981-3
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamic lift; Anatomical models; Anthropometry; Buses; Crash tests; Crashes; Data analysis; Databases; Fatalities; Injuries; Manual safety belts; Mathematical analysis; Persons with disabilities; Protection; Ramps; Restraint systems; Rocket sleds; Safety; Safety engineering; School buses; State of the art studies; Testing; Wheelchairs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Causes; Convenience; Lifts
- Old TRIS Terms: Occupant restraint; Rocket propelled sleds
- Subject Areas: Highways; Public Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Society; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00346755
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FR-1074-03-81-VOL-1 Final Rpt., HS-805 826
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01774
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 29 1982 12:00AM