THE STATE OF THE ART IN THE ROUTING AND SCHEDULING OF VEHICLES AND CREWS
The report presents the state of the art in routing and scheduling of vehicles and crews. It discusses the theoretical bases surrounding many of the problems, and describes in detail many routing and scheduling applications. The report provides a classification of routing and scheduling problems according to their underlying characteristics; discusses many of the issues in implementation; and includes a comprehensive bibliography of references (more than 500 citations) relating to routing and scheduling. This report also presents conclusions and future research topics that include (1) a discussion of the prospects for using routing and scheduling models within real-world settings, and (2) a list of possible directions of future research in the area of routing and scheduling. The authors state that organizations are just starting to realize the potential for savings resulting from the automation of their routing and scheduling activities. They also advocate the development of general purpose computer software systems that would include a flexible interactive user interface, and a data-base system that is easy to understand and manipulate.
- See also PB82-120202.
University of Maryland, College ParkCollege of Business and Management
College Park, MD United States 20742
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bodin, L
- Golden, B
- Assad, A
- Ball, M
- Publication Date: 1981-9-15
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 413 p.
- TRT Terms: Bibliographies; Buses; Information processing; Management; Management information systems; Motor vehicles; Operators (Persons); Routing; Scheduling; State of the art studies; Transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Operations management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00346752
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MD-11-0004-81-2Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 29 1982 12:00AM