GREAT LAKES ORE CARRIER SERIES - ICE RESISTANCE MODEL TEST PROGRAM IN LOADED CONDITION
The object of the model test program was to provide the ship designer with the methodology for designing ships to operate in ice waters. The methodology is to include quantitative relationships between ship form parameters, ice conditions, ship motion and ice resistance for Great Lakes vessel operations in the extended season. The program consisted of the comprehensive testing of nine models of varying bow form, length and beam. The final result is a method for calculating ice resistance in different ice thicknesses and at different speeds for ships with forms similar to those of Great Lakes ore carriers.
- See also COM-74-10425/8, Ballast Condition, Repr PC, $10.50, Microfiche, $1.45.
Wartsila Icebreaking Model BasinHelsinki, Finland
- Johansson, B M
- Makinen, E
- Publication Date: 1972-12-29
- Pagination: 229 p.
- TRT Terms: Ice; Ice navigation; Operations; Resistance (Mechanics); Seasons
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Ice operations; Ice resistance
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00057068
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WIMB-Test-18 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: MA-1-35502
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1974 12:00AM