Performance Evaluation of Coal Mine Overburden as a Potential Subballast Material in Railways with Additional Improvement Using Geocell
Overburden (OB) generated from coal mining industries are a major source of environmental pollution as well as land degradation worldwide. Recycling of such waste products through effective application in the construction industry leading to environmental sustainability is the need of the hour. The present study focuses on the feasibility of recycling the OB as an alternate track subballast material. A series of tests have been conducted considering its shape, chemical composition, durability, stress–strain responses, and load-deformation behavior. Comparisons have been made with respect to standard subballast aggregates. It is observed that the OB can be used as a subballast material. The load-deformation behavior observed in the track model tests indicate that provision of geocell reinforcement can further enhance the performance of OB as subballast material.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/08991561
- © 2020 American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Publication Date: 2020-8
- Media Type: Web
- Pagination: Content ID 04020200
- TRT Terms: Coal; Overburdens; Railroad tracks; Soil stabilization; Subballast; Wastes
- Identifier Terms: Geocell
- Subject Areas: Materials; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 01743155
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, ASCE
- Created Date: Jun 15 2020 3:03PM