FREIGHT CAR DYNAMICS
The objective of this research project was to develop techniques to analyze the lateral dynamic behavior of railroad freight cars. The effort included development and correlation of theoretical techniques for predicting freight car dynamic behavior, and use of the techniques to investigate the behavior of present and proposed designs. The project was sponsored by FRA with support and cooperation from the Association of American Railroads and the Union Pacific Railroad. A number of models and analysis approaches were developed for freight car behavior on tangent track. These models differ widely in complexity. An output of the project is the understanding of the appropriate use of each model and analysis technique. Extensive field tests were planned and carried out with the cooperation and support of the Association of American Railroads (AAR), the Union Pacific Railroad (UP), and Martin Denver Division. These tests were conducted by the AAR and UP. Eight different vehicle configurations were tested, each at several speeds on both tangent and curved track. Data obtained from these tests were used for comparisons with theoretical predictions of vehicle response.
- Record URL:
- See also PB82-116930. Prepared in cooperation with Arizona State Univ., Tempe. Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, and Association of American Railroads.
Clemson UniversityClemson, SC United States 29634
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Law, E H
- Cooperrider, N K
- Publication Date: 1981-8
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamic loads; Field tests; Freight cars; Power spectra; Railroad tracks; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Interaction; Lateral stability
- Old TRIS Terms: Coulomb friction
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00346139
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-81/47
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-40018
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 22 2002 12:00AM