SPECIAL STUDY OF PRECAST CONCRETE TUNNEL LINER DEMONSTRATION: LEXINGTON MARKET TUNNELS, BALTIMORE, MARYLAND
During the period from the Spring of 1976 through early 1980, a demonstration project was carried out for precast segmented concrete tunnel liner in the Lexington Market Section of the Baltimore Regional Rapid Transit System. In the project, twin tunnels, each approximately 1550 feet in length, were lined with concrete in the outbound tunnel and steel in the inbound tunnel. Length, ground conditions, tunneling techniques, and crews were comparable for the two tunnels. This study and report of findings were commissioned by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration to provide government and industry personnel with a comprehensive evaluation of precast segmented concrete liner for use in transit tunnels in the United States. The performance of the two liner systems was documented in considerable detail through a combination of instrumentation, record keeping, photography, and personal observation. This performance and the program by which it was determined, are described in detail in this report.
- Prepared in cooperation with UTD Corp., Alexandria, VA.
Mass Transit Administration of Maryland1515 Washington Boulevard
Baltimore, MD United States 21230
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Wightman, W D
- Calabrese, S
- Foster, E L
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Pagination: 268 p.
- TRT Terms: Concrete construction; Construction; Costs; Demonstration projects; Excavation and tunneling; Geological surveying; Performance evaluations; Precast concrete; Rapid transit; Steel; Tunnel lining; Tunneling
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs
- Geographic Terms: Baltimore (Maryland); Maryland
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transit railways; Steel construction
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Finance; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00346026
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MD-06-0039-81-1Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 29 1982 12:00AM