REVENUE SHORTFALL--THE PUBLIC WORKS CHALLENGE OF THE 1980S
This report focuses on revenue shortfall as it relates to the physical structures and facilities developed or acquired by public agencies to house governmental functions and provide water, waste disposal, power, transportation, and similar services to facilitate the achievement of common social and economic objectives. The revenue shortfall is defined as the insufficiency of available funds to (a) provide the necessary levels of public services supportive of safe, effective, environmentally sound and economical activity by business and the general public; (b) maintain the current stock of public capital facilities ensuring its operational capability and reliability through the full intended life span; and (c) provide timely replacements or major additions to the public stock capital facilities for the growing and changing needs of the public stock capital facilities for the growing and changing needs of the public. This report is the product of a study which reviewed articles and papers on revenue shortfall as well as related subjects such as the Federal Local Public Works Program. Part one of this report organized pertinent information and attempts a definition of the revenue shortfall problem. Part two gives details of a survey of key public works administrators through all of the States and the District of Columbia. Parts three and four suggest, to administrators and legislators, ideas on identifying and defining their unique problems with revenue shortfall. There are many implementable opportunities available to individual local and regional agencies, but some aspects of the problem will have to be addressed as state, provincial, or national public policy issues.
Chicago, IL United States 60637
- Publication Date: 1981
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 111 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Facilities; Finance; Power; Public policy; Public works; Revenues; Surveys; Transportation; Transportation operations; Waste disposal; Water resources
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fund allocations
- Old TRIS Terms: Revenue shortfall; Transportation administration; Water supply
- Subject Areas: Finance; Transportation (General); I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00345281
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 29 1982 12:00AM