EVALUATION OF TECHNIQUES FOR REDUCING IN-USE AUTOMOTIVE FUEL CONSUMPTION
This report presents an assessment of proposed techniques for reducing fuel consumption in the in-use light duty road vehicle fleet. Three general classes of techniques are treated: (1) modification of vehicles, (2) modification of traffic flow, and (3) modification of driver behavior. Examples of techniques in each category are (1) spark augmentation devices, improved carburetors, variable accessory operation; (2) right turn on red, intersection control; and (3) driver training, driver aid devices. In total, 17 different techniques, including 33 specific devices/concepts, are examined and evaluated. Factors included in the evaluation are fuel economy effects, safety impacts, availability for fleet implementation, and unit price. In addition, the implementation of each technique is assessed with regard to number of vehicles impacted, fuel savings effected, national cost, potential problems, and required lead time. A principal finding is the ranking of cost effective techniques in terms of their assessed potential for reducing fleet fuel consumption.
- Prepared in cooperation with Transportation Systems Center, Cambridge, MA.
Aerospace CorporationEnvironment and Energy Conservation Division
El Segundo, CA United States 90245
Washington, DC United States 20590
Space and Missile Systems OrganizationLos Angeles, CA United States
- FORREST, L
- LEE, W B
- SMALLEY, W M
- Publication Date: 1981-4
- Pagination: 330 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Attitudes; Automobiles; Behavior; Cost effectiveness; Costs; Driver training; Drivers; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Highway traffic control; Implementation; Light vehicles; Motorist aid systems; Right turn on red; Signalized intersections; Sparks; Traffic flow; Traffic surveys; Vehicle design; Vehicle safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Modification kits; Vehicular safety
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Research; Vehicles and Equipment; I96: Vehicle Operating Costs;
- Accession Number: 00343730
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-NHTSA-81-13 Final Rpt., DOT-HS-805-833
- Contract Numbers: F04701-77-C-0078
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 28 1982 12:00AM