FIELD APPLICATION AND EVALUATION OF BUS TRANSIT PERFORMANCE INDICATORS. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
This research study was performed in two parts: (1) field examination of the use of performance measures, and (2) use of the performance evaluation model. The first part of this research surveyed 19 bus transit operators in the five state area of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. The study revolved around operations data collection, and the type and degree of performance evaluation in current use. An assessment of the adequacy of the indicators was performed. The current and potential uses of performance monitoring were evaluated especially in relation to the goals and objectives of the system. In general, the study concluded that about half of the transit systems visited collected enough operating data to inexpensively develop a comprehensive performance monitoring program. The second part of this study involved implementation of the Performance Evaluation Model developed that was basically designed to evaluate the effects on performance due to a short term change in fare, headway, or number of stops on a bus route. Several cities were selected.
- See also PB81-209348.
Purdue UniversitySchool of Civil Engineering, 550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafeyette, IN United States 47907
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationUniversity Research and Training Program, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Sinha, K C
- Guenthner, R P
- Publication Date: 1981-3
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus stops; Bus transit; Buses; Data analysis; Data collection; Fares; Headways; Mathematical analysis; Mathematical models; Operations research; Passenger transportation; Performance; Performance evaluations; Scheduling; Transit operators; Transportation operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models; Performance indicators; Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00343601
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CE-TRA-81/1-ES, UMTA-IN-11-0005-81-1
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 28 1982 12:00AM