CRASH TESTS OF SHARPLY CURVED LIGHT-POST GUIDERAIL
Cables, W-beam, and box-beam guiderail on S 3x5.7 posts were crash tested on 50- and 100-ft radius curves. Head-on impacts on these sharply curved barriers produced much different results than standard angled impacts on tangent barriers. For the cable and W-beam barriers, deflections were much greater than for standard impacts, but decelerations remained low. For box-beam, deflections increased only slightly, but decelerations were greater.
- See also report dated Jun 80, PB80-213721.
Albany, NY United States 12232
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bryden, J E
- Hahn, K C
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Barriers (Roads); Box beams; Cables; Crash injury research; Crash tests; Crashes; Curved beams; Highway traffic control; Research; Shock (Mechanics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers
- Old TRIS Terms: Cables ropes; Impact shock
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00343558
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: RR-83, FHWA/NY/RR-80/83
- Files: NTIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 28 2002 12:00AM