LIGHT TRUCK SIDE STRUCTURE EVALUATION. VOLUME I: OVERVIEW AND CONCLUSIONS
A study was conducted to compare the side structural components of three lightweight pickup trucks with those of a VW Rabbit Sedan. Under previous Agency contracts, a series of side structural modifications had been performed on the sedan resulting in improved compartment integrity. It was desired to know if the same types of structural modifications would be applicable to the lightweight pickup trucks. The pickup trucks selected were: 1978 Chevrolet Luv, 1978 Ford Courier, and 1980 VW Rabbit Pickup. The occupant seating position is documented for each vehicle. The main structural elements are documented and compared. Finally the applicability of the proposed upgrade of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 214 "Side Impact Protection" is discussed.
- See also Volume 2, PB81-210841.
East Liberty, OH United States 43319
- Monk, M W
- Willke, D
- Publication Date: 1981-2
- Pagination: 87 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash injury research; Crash tests; Crashes; Drivers; Light trucks; Research; Safety; Seats; Side crashes; Structural analysis; Structural members; Trucks; Vehicle occupants
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Passenger Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00343551
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-805-835 Final Rpt., SRL-26-VOL-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 28 1982 12:00AM