ANNUAL MILEAGE COMPARISONS AND ACCIDENT AND INJURY RATES BY MAKE, MODEL
A sample of motor vehicle inspection receipts was used, along with the North Carolina motor vehicle registration file and the police reported accident file, to obtain estimates of average annual milage and crash involvement rates for a variety of model year by passenger car size categories. These quantities were also estimated for several specific car makes by model year, and for three truck size by model year categories. Comparisons with two earlier studies show how passenger car annual mileage and crash involvement rates, as a function of vehicle age, have changed over the past five years.
University of North Carolina, Chapel HillHighway Safety Research Center
Chapel Hill, NC United States 27599
- Stewart, J R
- Carroll, C L
- Publication Date: 1980-10-31
- Pagination: 137 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Automobiles; Crash rates; Crash severity; Estimates; Fuel consumption; Highway transportation; Injuries; Motor vehicles; Passenger vehicles; Service life; Statistical analysis; Traffic crashes; Travel; Trucks
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Vehicle age
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Energy; Highways; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00343017
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-805-865 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00897
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1981 12:00AM