SAFETY DESIGN AND OPERATIONAL PRACTICES FOR STREETS AND HIGHWAYS TECHNOLOGY SHARING REPORT
A manual is provided for students in a 4-1/2 day training course on the safe design and operation of streets and highways. Practical, state-of-the-art information is presented which emphasizes the effective integration of safety as a principal criterion in planning, designing, and operating roadways; the identification of hazardous conditions or situations; and the selection and application of countermeasures. Six topic areas include definition of the highway safety problem, safety improvement programs, geometric design, traffic operations and planning, traffic barriers, and legal responsibility of public officials for highway safety. Objectives, discussion, and references comprise each topic session. An instructor's guide is a companion document.
- Technology Sharing Program. Updated in 1980 by Byrd, Tallamy, MacDonald, and Lewis, Consulting Engineers.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Rowan, N J
- Woods, D L
- Stover, V G
- Anderson, D A
- Dozier, J H
- Publication Date: 1980-5
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 305 p.
- TRT Terms: Highway design; Highway safety; Safety; Streets; Traffic control
- Old TRIS Terms: Safety practices
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; I73: Traffic Control; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00342444
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-TS-80-228, HS-029 097
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 22 1984 12:00AM