A NEW PHOTOGRAPHIC INSTRUMENTATION SYSTEM FOR PHOTO-LOGGING
The author describes the development and method of operating the county of Avon system, using high resolution kodachrome film and a 16 mm cine pulse recording camera. It is used mainly to log highway conditions but can also be used for time lapse photography. Details are given of the control/data generator system which can be used with any suitable camera in super 8, 16 mm, 35 mm or 70 mm with a digital data chamber facility. An apex-auto-exposure control ensures good exposure regardless of changing light and location conditions. Pictures at five metre intervals are activated by a standard fifth wheel fitted behind the car; a 200 ft film can be run for a distance of 40 km before changing. Digital data recorded on the film edge of each frame give information of direction, distance and picture count. A 28 V, 7 ampere/hour power pack with a mains charger permits the system to work unattended for long periods, even where electrical mains are not available. The vehicle operating speed is 30 mile/h and the camera shutter is set at 1/200th second to arrest motion which could give rise to subject blur. (TRRL)
- Conference on Traffic Data Collection, University of Leeds, Bodington Hall, January 8-9, 1979.
University of LeedsDepartment of Civil Engineering
Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom LS2 9JT
- Rendell, J T
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Cameras; Cinematography; Conferences; Data collection; Equipment; Instrumentation; Logging; Photography; Photologging; Time lapse photography; Traffic; Vehicles
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Vehicles and Equipment; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00342284
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 22 1981 12:00AM