"CURVE RADIUS - SPEED - TRANSVERSE PROFILE"
"KURVENRADIUS - GESCHWINDIGKEIT - QUERNEIGUNG"
In order to reduce the risk of danger an agreement should be reached between the driving behaviour characterising 85% of the speeds and the design speeds developed. The most rational approach would appear to be to increase the transverse profile by 1%-2% for comparable curve radii in the range of design velocities smaller than 80 km/h, thus guaranteeing a certain safety latitude. In a comparison to this, in the case of exceeding the design speed by more than 20 km/h by 85% of the vehicle groups, the selection of a higher design speed for the construction of the highways is recommended. For economic reasons, it is therefore recommended that an increase in the transverse profile is more suitable. By means of numerous varying measurements on curves of the same radius it can also be established that the driving behaviour and thus the selection of speeds is not dependent on the characteristics of their stretches as a construction feature of a road length alone, but also on the optical picture of the driving space. Sharp speed differences were established between the internal and external sides of the same curve, higher velocity levels being reached on the inner curve than in the outer curve. (TRRL)
Technical University of Vienna, AustriaInstitut fuer Verkehrsplanung, Karlsplatz 13
A-1040 Vienna, Austria
- Schubert, A
- Publication Date: 1979-4
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 85 p.
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Curvature; Design speed; Drivers; Highway curves; Measurement; Optical measurement; Perspective views; Radius; Speed; Superelevation; Theses
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transverse profile
- Old TRIS Terms: Radius of curvature
- ITRD Terms: 9001: Behaviour; 2872: Bend (road); 635: Design speed; 1772: Driver; 5408: Speed; 2850: Superelevation; 2843: Transverse profile
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure; I82: Accidents and Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00341677
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Bundesanstalt für Straßenwesen (BASt)
- Report/Paper Numbers: Thesis
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 22 1981 12:00AM