A FIXED GANTRY FOR HANDLING DATA BUOYS AT SEA
The problem addressed in the report is that of deploying and retrieving discus buoys having an air weight of up to 25,000 lbs. in 8-foot seas (significant wave heights) or higher. The use of an offshore supply ship was contemplated as the servicing ship aboard which the equipment would be installed. The study of this concept was pursued to the extent necessary to demonstrate its technical feasibility and to enable the preparation of cost estimates. (Author)
- Sponsored in part by National Science Foundation. Report on North Pacific Experiment.
Scripps Institution of OceanographyLa Jolla, CA USA
- Peloquin, R A
- Publication Date: 1973-11-23
- Pagination: 62 p.
- TRT Terms: Buoys; Gantry cranes; Heavy lift vessels; Offshore supply boats
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00056731
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SIO-Ref-73-32
- Contract Numbers: N00014-69A-0200-6043
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 22 1974 12:00AM