RAILROAD CLASSIFICATION YARD TECHNOLOGY. EVALUATION OF APPROACHES TO CAR PRESENCE DETECTION
The techniques utilized to detect the presence of railroad cars in Railroad Classification Yards are discussed. The report addresses application requirements, performance characteristics, life characteristics and failure modes for commonly used detector types. A study is presented on alternate techniques for detecting railroad cars, including field and laboratory evaluations. A Specification Guide defining the requirements for presence detectors, for use by the railroad industry, is appended to the report.
Shaker Research CorporationNorthway 10 Executive Park
Ballston Lake, NY United States 12019
Washington, DC United States 20590
- WILSON, D S
- Petersen, N J
- Publication Date: 1981-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 67 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic control; Axles; Design; Detectors; Hump yards; Proximity detectors; Railroad yards; Reliability; Specifications; Track circuits; Traffic counts
- Uncontrolled Terms: Axle counting; Flat yards
- Old TRIS Terms: Presence detectors; Wheel detectors; Yard automatic control; Yard design
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00341252
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-81/01 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT/FR-8199
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM