WHEEL/RAIL NOISE CONTROL - A CRITICAL EVALUATION
Noise and vibration are the major sources of environmental impact from urban rail transit operations, and is a concern for both new and existing systems. One of the primary sources of noise on rail transit systems is wheel/rail noise, or, the noise emitted by the wheels and rails as a result of their interaction. The purpose of this report is to carefully review and summarize the available information on each of the known or conceptualized methods for controlling wheel/rail noise and to identify requirements for further research, development, and testing. The report discusses the acoustical performance, costs, potential, or actual problems of these methods and suggestions are made for resolving uncertainties in the available data. This review is also particularly intended to help direct the remaining work to be performed under this project. In addition, a cost-effectiveness analysis is carried out to help in the selection of specific noise control methods for further study. The rationale for selecting each such treatment is presented.
Bolt, Beranek and Newman, Incorporated50 Moulton Street
Cambridge, MA United States 02138
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Kurzweil, L G
- WITTIG, L E
- Publication Date: 1981-1
- Pagination: 162 p.
- TRT Terms: Car wheels (Railroads); Concrete finishing; Cost effectiveness; Damping (Physics); Development; Maintenance; Noise; Noise control; Railroad tracks; Railroads; Rapid transit; Research; Roughness; Seal coats; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise reduction; Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transit noise; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Environment; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00337960
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-81-8 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1768
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM