DEVELOPMENT OF THE CALIFORNIA PAVEMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. SUMMARY REPORT
The pavement management system was developed to provide the information necessary for management decisions on pavement maintenance, resurfacing and rehabilitation and to be as simple and practical as possible. Essentially Caltrans determined that the additional information necessary to manage (evaluate, program, and budget) the pavement system was a statewide condition inventory, a method to evaluate the identified pavement condition, and a system to provide the decision maker with program needs and budget recommendations for the necessary actions to be taken. The California Pavement Management System (PMS) emphasizes an engineered approach to pavement rehabilitation and combines several basic concepts into a useful management tool: (a) pavement condition survey which identifies and monitors pavement condition, identifies locations where repair is justified, (b) an engineering logic system which analyzes the extent and severity of pavement distress to determine appropriate rehabilitation strategies, and (c) a program and budget for pavement rehabilitation.
- Sponsored in part by Federal Highway Administration, Sacramento, CA. California Division. See also Volume 2, PB80-194335.
Sacramento, CA United States 95819
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Massucco, J
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Budgeting; Concrete pavements; Defects; Driver rehabilitation; Flexible pavements; Guidelines; Highways; Maintenance; Maintenance management; Management; Manuals; Pavement distress; Pavement maintenance; Pavement management systems; Pavements; Resurfacing; Strategic planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Management systems; Rehabilitation; Systems management
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Design; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces; I61: Equipment and Maintenance Methods;
- Accession Number: 00337933
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM