321(B) RAIL RETROFIT EVALUATION-LIGHT AND COMMUTER RAIL SYSTEMS: SUMMARY REPORT. VOLUME I
The objectives of this 321 (b) Rail Retrofit Evaluation are: (1) to develop all costs (capital and operating over a 50-year period) of making all UMTA funded light and commuter rail systems accessible to handicapped persons; (2) to develop solutions to accessibility problems in sufficient detail to estimate associated costs, and to determine technical and operational feasibility; (3) to estimate the transportation demand for these accessible services, and the benefits of these services to handicapped and other persons, in sufficient detail to comment on cost effectiveness. This report summarizes accessibility solutions and cost estimates for 25 light rail and commuter rail systems on a systemwide and national total basis. Documentation on costing methodology, criteria, and proposed vehicle modifications is included. The report includes an errata sheet describing corrections subsequent to reviews by transit agencies and handicapped representatives.
Crain and Associates120 Santo Margarita Avenue
Menlo Park, CA United States 94025
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- CRAIN, J L
- Publication Date: 1980-12
- Pagination: 421 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Aerodynamic lift; Aged; Commuter cars; Cost effectiveness; Cost estimating; Estimates; Human factors; Human factors engineering; Life cycle costing; Light rail transit; Needs assessment; Passenger cars; Persons with disabilities; Railroad stations; Railroad transportation; Retrofitting; Supply; Urban transportation; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Availability; Lifts; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00337302
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CA-06-0125-80-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-90026
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM