POLICE ENFORCEMENT PROCEDURES FOR UNSAFE DRIVING ACTIONS. VOLUME I: SUMMARY
This volume presents the major findings of the literature-review, telephone-contact, and site-visit activities that were carried out in the course of this study. It places police enforcement practices in a risk-management context and presents operational definitions of the unsafe driving acts (UDAs) of speeding, following too closely, and driving left of center. The primary focus of this study is the speeding UDA. This review summarizes current police deployment, surveillance and detection, apprehension, and presanctioning/sanctioning practices related to speeding; makes recommendations concerning specific aspects of police procedures directed at speeding; and explores both enforcement and nonenforcement approaches to the management of the speed UDA.
- Volume 2, PB81-178949 is HS-805 744 and Volume 3, PB81-181687 is HS-805 745.
University of Michigan, Ann ArborHighway Safety Research Institute
Ann Arbor, MI United States
Washington, DC United States 20590
- JOSCELYN, K B
- Jones, R K
- Publication Date: 1980-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 77 p.
- TRT Terms: Administrative procedures; Behavior; Car following; Crashes; Detection and identification; Detectors; Drivers; Fear; Following distance; Law enforcement; Police; Safety; Speeding; Traffic law enforcement; Traffic safety; Traffic surveillance; Traffic violators; Velocity
- Old TRIS Terms: Apprehension; Following distance (Of vehicles); Practices; Procedural requirements
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00337139
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-80-39-1 Final Rpt., HS-805 743
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-8-01827
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1982 12:00AM