MOTOR VEHICLE TAMPERING SURVEY-1979
The National Enforcement Investigations Center inspected 2,499 vehicles for tampering with emission control devices. All vehicles inspected were classified into one of four mutually exclusive categories: tampered (at least one control device removed or rendered inoperative), arguably tampered (potential, but not clear-cut tampering, malfunctioning, and OK (all control devices present and apparently operating properly). The results were: tampered-18.0% arguably tampered-46.5%, malfunctioning-2.2%, and OK-33.3%.
National Enforcement Investigations CtrEnvironmental Protection Agency
Denver, CO United States
- Publication Date: 1980-5
- Pagination: 102 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Automobiles; Control devices; Data collection; Equipment; Exhaust gases; Inspection; Motor vehicles; Surveys; Tampering
- Old TRIS Terms: Air pollution control devices; Exhaust emission control
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00336712
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA-330/1-80-001
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 12 1981 12:00AM