PLASTICITY MODELS FOR SOILS. PART I: THEORY AND CALIBRATION. PART II: COMPARISON AND DISCUSSION
Three types of soil models are described in this report: (1) nonlinear elasticity material model with the Mohr-Coulomb or the Drucker-Prager surface as failure criterion; (2) Mohr-Coulomb type of elastic-plastic material model with two different sizes of elliptical hardening cap which are defined respectively on the tensile meridian plane and the compressive meridian plane; (3) Mohr-Coulomb type of elastic-plastic material model with an elliptical hardening cap whose size depends on the Lode angle theta. The following assumptions are made for the three types of models: (1) the linear elastic, hypoelastic or hyperelastic function is used in the elastic range for the isotropic or anisotropic material element; (2) the incremental plasticity theory is applied to calculate plastic strain increment during loading range. The concept of decomposition of stress state onto tensile meridian plane and compressive meridian plane is described.
- Presented at the May 28-30, 1980 North American Workshop on Limit Equilibrium, Plasticity and Generalized Stress-Strain in Geotechnical Engineering.
Purdue UniversitySchool of Civil Engineering, 550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafeyette, IN United States 47907
National Science FoundationEngineeing and Applied Science, 1800 G Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20550
- Mizuno, E
- Chen, Wai-Fah
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Anisotropy (Physics); Deformation curve; Elasticity (Mechanics); Elastoplasticity; Isotropy; Mathematical models; Nonlinear systems; Plasticity; Properties of materials; Soil mechanics; Soils; Tensile properties; Workshops
- Uncontrolled Terms: Elastic plastic analysis; Nonlinearity; Soil properties
- Old TRIS Terms: Anisotropy; Plasticity theory; Soil plasticity
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls; I42: Soil Mechanics;
- Accession Number: 00336537
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CE-STR-80-12, NSF/RA-800208
- Contract Numbers: NSF-PFR78-09326
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM