FUTURE CONFIGURATION OF TANK VEHICLES HAULING FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS IN MICHIGAN. VOLUME II. APPENDICES
The special safety hazard posed by highway tank vehicles hauling flammable liquids has been addressed through accident data analysis and engineering evaluations related to tank vehicle configuration. The study, which was mandated directly by an Act of the Michigan State Legislature, has produced a recommendation for new legislation pertaining to the configuration of tank vehicles having fluid capacities in excess of 9,000 gal. A set of four vehicle configurations are recommended, all constituting tractor-semitrailers. The specification for each vehicle covers constraints on tank capacity, tank height above the ground, rollover stability, the use of so-called "lift-axles," and the ability of manhole covers to contain the fluid load in the event of a rollover.
- Volume 1 is HS-031 198.
University of Michigan, Ann ArborHighway Safety Research Institute
Ann Arbor, MI United States
Michigan Department of TransportationState Transportation Building, 425 West Ottawa Street, P.O. Box 30050
Lansing, MI United States 48909
- Ervin, R D
- MALLIKARJUNARAO, C
- Gillespie, T D
- Publication Date: 1980-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 108 p.
- TRT Terms: Axles; Crash investigation; Fire prevention; Fires; Flammable liquids; Freight transportation; Hazardous materials; Hazards; Height; Load limits; Risk assessment; Rollover crashes; Safety; Shape; Specifications; Stability (Mechanics); Tank cars; Tankers; Tractor trailer combinations; Trailers; Truck tractors; Trucks; Vehicle capacity; Vehicle design; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Configuration
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Truck capacity
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I81: Accident Statistics; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00336183
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-80-73-2 Final Rpt., HS-031 197
- Contract Numbers: 78-2230
- Files: HSL, TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: May 21 1983 12:00AM