SAFETY EFFECTIVENESS EVALUATION OF RAIL RAPID TRANSIT SAFETY
On July 28 and 29, 1980, the National Transportation Safety Board held a public hearing on rail rapid transit safety. Twenty-five witnesses testified during the hearing on fire safety issues, emergency evacuation from rail rapid transit systems and safety oversight of transit systems. The Safety Board examined fire safety issues involving transit car design; emergency exit from cars; emergency tunnel ventilation; evacuation from tunnels; emergency procedures including training, drilling, and testing; emergency communications, equipment, and mobility; and local/State/Federal safety oversight of rail rapid transit properties. The Safety Board issued urgent recommendations to the Urban Mass Transportation Administration for a survey of rail rapid transit systems to determine their capability for evacuation of passengers under various operational and passenger load conditions and to establish Federal guidelines for the elimination or minimization of combustible and toxic gas and smoke-generating materials in existing rail rapid transit cars. The Safety Board further recommended that the Secretary of Transportation propose Federal legislation which would explicitly authorize the establishment of safety standards for rail rapid transit systems. Other recommendations seek Federal guidelines for car and tunnel designs, safety equipment, and training; the need for 5-year safety and research and development plans; a fire research and testing program; a study of the need for fire suppression systems; and improved training for tunnel rescue efforts for employees and emergency personnel.
National Transportation Safety BoardOffice of Evaluations and Safety Objectives
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 1981-1-22
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 108 p.
- TRT Terms: Disasters and emergency operations; Fire fighting; Fires; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Research projects; Safety; Smoke; Standards; Toxicity; Training; Tunnels; Ventilation systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Emergency procedures; Research programs; Safety standards
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Education and Training; Public Transportation; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00335857
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB-SEE-81-1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1982 12:00AM