FREIGHT CAR UTILIZATION IMPACTS OF RAILROAD-CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIPS VOLUME 3: UNIT TRAINS AND MINI TRAINS. PHASE II--TASK FORCE 3
This volume is the third of four reports by Task Force 3 delineating and quantifying the car utilization impacts of selected marketing actions. For the two types of services--unit train and mini train (short unit trains)--it provides a set of conclusions and recommendations drawn by the task force and three case studies on which these conclusions are, in part, based. The Task Force concludes: (1) that unit train service has significantly improved freight car utilization and railroad profitability, and (2) that mini train service has the potential for dramatically improving freight car utilization and perhaps even for increasing railroad market penetration to a degree beyond that achieved by unit trains.
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Publication Date: 1980-9
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Car operations (Railroads); Car utilization (Railroads); Marketing; Profitability; Unit trains
- Identifier Terms: Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad; Illinois Central Gulf Railroad
- Old TRIS Terms: Car cycles; Minitrains; Operating strategies; Short trains
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00335554
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR R-445 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM