FREIGHT CAR UTILIZATION IMPACTS OF RAILROAD-CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIPS VOLUME 2: SUBSTITUTING FREE RUNNERS FOR ASSIGNED CARS. PHASE II--TASK FORCE 3
This volume is the second of four reports by Task Force 3 delineating and quantifying the car utilization impacts of selected marketing actions. It presents a set of Task Force conclusions and recommendations on the merits of substituting free runners for assigned cars, and three case studies on which the conclusions are based. The case studies show clearly that selective substitution of free runners for assigned cars offers significant potential for reducing empty crosshauls, and improving car utilization and railroad profitability. Substitutions have reduced empty car time on the order of 50% and long run expected car requirements on the order of 20%, while at the same time maintaining or improving car supply to the customers involved.
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Publication Date: 1980-9
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 51 p.
- TRT Terms: Car distribution (Railroads); Car supply (Railroads); Car utilization (Railroads); Carpools; Profitability
- Old TRIS Terms: Car supply; Empty cars
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00335553
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR R-444 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM