A PRACTICAL SOLUTION TO PUMPING AN ABRASIVE SLURRY
The paper describes the approach taken in the design and construction of a solids pumping system conveying a mixture of coarse kaolinite, fine quartz and mica. Because of the abrasive nature of the slurry, the reasons for choosing the Mars type positive displacement pump and lining the steel pipes with a castable polyurethane are given. The pumping arrangements necessary to avoid blockages, when pumping a fast settling slurry and the operating and maintenance experiences are outlined as well as giving the running costs as a function of slurry density and discharge pressures.
- Presented at HYDROTRANSPORT 3--Third International Conference on the Hydraulic Transport of Solids in Pipes, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colo., May 15-17, 1974. Sponsored by BHRA Fluid Engineering. Complete set of Conference papers available for $45.00.
Colorado School of Mines1500 Illinois Street
Golden, CO United States 80401
- Sambells, D F
- Publication Date: 1974-5
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Coatings; Pipeline pumping stations; Pipelines; Pumps; Slurry; Slurry pipelines; Structural design; Structural materials
- Old TRIS Terms: Pipeline coatings; Pipeline design; Pipeline materials; Slurry pumps
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Pipelines; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00056480
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Hydrodynamics Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper J1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1974 12:00AM