COLD - ASPHALT RECYCLING EQUIPMENT

Following is a general outlook on the history and development of construction equipment for use in the cold-asphalt recycling process: Mixed in place road construction was first introduced in the United States about 1980, in Southern California. In most cases, standard farm equipment was used. Disk harrows, tow blades and drags mixed the liquid road oil into the road bed. The distribution of the liquid road oil was very poor at that time. With the introduction of liquid distributors around 1920 and SC (slow curing liquid asphalt) around 1925, road mix (mixed-in-place) finally became a widely used procedure in the farm to market type road construction. Specialized equipment for mixed-in-place (now called cold-in-place recycling) was first developed in 1926 by the Barber-Green Company. Other companies that made stabilization equipment at about the same time were; Iowa Manufacturing, Madsen Manufacturing, Woods (now Pettibone) and Jager Machine Company. All of the aforementioned machines were developed to eliminate the use of liquid distributors for the distribution of liquid asphalt. Construction equipment designing for use in the cold-in-place recycling process is continuing at the present time. (Author)

Media Info

  • Media Type: Print
  • Pagination: pp 101-102
  • Monograph Title: Proceedings of the National Seminar on Asphalt Pavement Recycling
  • Serial:

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00334554
  • Record Type: Publication
  • ISBN: 030903101X
  • Files: TRIS, TRB
  • Created Date: Oct 28 1981 12:00AM