PREDICTION OF DRIVING TRACTION PERFORMANCE ON SNOW
The amount of performance testing required to evaluate tire snow traction performance is substantial. This could be reduced through the use of a snow traction prediction equation to screen tire tread designs. The development of such an equation using five geometric tread properties is described. Simplified versions of this equation are also developed and checked against tires of known snow traction performance. These equations provide an objective method for estimating the snow traction potential of a tread design.
- Presented at the SAE Passenger Car Meeting, Dearborn, Michigan, 9-13 June 1980.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Nesbitt, T R
- Barron, D J
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Forecasting; Geometric design; Performance tests; Snow; Snow cover; Tire treads; Tires; Traction
- Old TRIS Terms: Snow traction performance
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00331782
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800836, HS-030 670
- Files: HSL, TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 9 1983 12:00AM