NEW RENAULT 2 LITER 4 CYLINDER DIESEL ENGINE
Renault has just unveiled a new version of its popular R20 family sedan, fitted with an all new 2 liter, 4 cylinder in line diesel engine. It features an aluminum crankcase, a new type of cylinder liner, an aluminum cylinder head with an overhead camshaft driven by a toothed belt, a new type of swirl chamber, and a nodular cast iron crankshaft. This engine will power various passenger cars and light-duty vans in the near future. This paper describes the main design, development and performance features of the engine, as well as some special manufacturing means which were developed.
- From SAE Meeting held June 9-13, 1980.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- His, J J
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: 31 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Aluminum; Cast iron; Crankcases; Crankshafts; Design; Diesel engines; Exhaust gases; Fuel conservation; Internal combustion engines; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cylinders
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00331766
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800797
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 9 1981 12:00AM