TIRE TRACTION TESTING IN THE WINTER ENVIRONMENT
This paper reviews the reasons for winter environment traction testing of passenger car and truck tires and the engineering techniques currently used. Test course preparation for both snow and ice surfaces are discussed. Typical instrumentation and data acquisition systems are presented as are various means of analyzing data. The paper concludes with recommendations for standardizing test methodology to improve the effectiveness and usefulness of tire testing in the winter environment.
- From SAE Meeting held June 9-13, 1980.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Janowski, W R
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 20 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Automotive engineering; Data analysis; Data collection; Driving; Ice; Instrumentation; Mathematical analysis; Measures of effectiveness; Skid resistance tests; Snow; Tires; Traction; Trucks; Winter
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Vehicles and Equipment; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00331327
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800839, HS-030 252
- Files: HSL, TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1983 12:00AM