LOAD COMBINATIONS - A CALIBRATION ORIENTED APPROACH TO MORE RATIONAL DESIGN RULES
The report examines the load combination rules used in existing codes and indicates the key role they play in the current development of limit state codes. It is suggested that factors on dead load should be near unity. Two live loads are shown to be relevant - a common (95 per cent likely) one and an uncommon (95 per cent unlikely) one. Similarly, it is necessary to speak of wind loads associated with 10 year and 500 year return periods. A design space is constructed which allows the provisions of old and new rules to be considered across the range of designs. A calibration procedure is then developed and used heuristically. The resulting load equations are, for an assumed distribution of designs, for both working load and collapse states. The wind reversal case is also tackled and it is shown that a new presentation method and a rational solution using the earlier equations are possible. The proposals are produced for buildings and structures and steel and concrete. Typically, for bridges they are for the load combination case xd + xl; xd + 0.75xl + 0.70xw; 1.82(0.55xd + 0.82xw) (a). The ISBN of the microfiche is 0 86910 114 5. (TRRL)
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0869101064
ARRB Group Ltd.Vermont South, Victoria Australia
- Lay, M G
- Publication Date: 1980-8
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- Publication of: Australian Road Research Board
- Publisher: ARRB Group Ltd.
- ISSN: 1445-4467
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamic force; Bridge design; Bridges; Calibration; Design; Design load; Design methods; Loads; Standards; Structural design; Structures; Ultimate load design; Wind
- Uncontrolled Terms: Wind load
- Old TRIS Terms: Limits
- ITRD Terms: 3455: Bridge; 3352: Building (structure); 6171: Calibration; 9011: Design (overall design); 6452: Limit; 5567: Load; 187: Specification (standard); 2554: Wind
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 00330355
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- ISBN: 0 86910 106 4
- Files: ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM