NEW MEDIUM SPEED TWO STROKE CYCLE DIESEL ENGINE--THE GENERAL MOTORS EMD 645EB SERIES
The new EMD Model 645EB Series turbocharged and aftercooled two-stroke cycle medium-speed diesel engine, manufactured by Electro-Motive Division of General Motors Corporation is described regarding design features and performance. Design details of performance-related features--the turbocharger and unit fuel injector-are discussed and fuel economy improvements quantified. The new EB cast iron cylinder liner features a bore surface hardened with laser-beam technology in a facility believed to be the largest multi-kilowatt installation in the world today for purposes of heat treatment.
- For Meeting held February 3-7, 1980.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Kotlin, J J
- Williams Jr, H A
- Malina, J A
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Papers
- Publisher: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- TRT Terms: Diesel engines; Fuel conservation; Lasers; Metal heating; Superchargers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Heat treatment
- Old TRIS Terms: Cylinder liners; Supercharging; Two cycle diesel engines
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00330183
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: ASME 80-DGP-32
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 12 1981 12:00AM