HULL CONSTRUCTION TOLERANCE STANDARDS
A project to develop a trial set of representative hull construction tolerance standards has been undertaken at Sun Ship. The trial standards will serve as a strawman to test for possible industrywide concensus in this sensitive area. The standards are being selected to include representative forming, distortion, alignment, fitup, plate fairness, and weld profile tolerances. Source material for these standards includes foreign commercial shipbuilding industry standards, U.S. Navy and Maritime Administration standards, and standards from individual U.S. and foreign shipyards. The project is jointly funded by the U.S. Maritime Administration and Sun Ship under the National Shipbuilding Standards Program administered by Bath Iron Works. The trial standards will be reviewed by the SNAME SP-6 Panel and will be submitted to ASTM F 25.04 for consideration and possible adoption as an Industry standard, if a concensus proves possible.
- Proceedings of the REAPS Technical Symposium, held October 14-16, 1980, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
IIT Research Institute10 West 35th Street
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Krehnbrink, T P
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: p. 149-161
- TRT Terms: Hulls; Shipbuilding; Standards; Structures; Tolerances (Engineering); Welding
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull assembly; Hull construction; Hull fit up; Hull welding; Structural tolerance
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00329817
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM