IMPROVEMENTS AND ALTERNATIVES FOR SHIPBOARD HYDRAULIC STEERING SYSTEMS: PHASE I-FEASIBILITY STUDY
Significant results of the study include specifications for an improved electro-hydraulic system and a new electro-mechanical system concept based upon equipment used in the aircraft and related industries. By retrofit of power units and controls at modest cost, the improved electro-hydraulic system can be applied to existing ships. A preliminary design of the electro-mechanical system concept, which eliminates hydraulics entirely, seems technically and economically competitive with contemporary hydraulic systems. In addition, there are significant gains in peformance and reductions in weight, maintenance, and installation costs.
- Volume II Appendices PB81-110082
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Electrohydraulic mechanisms; Feasibility analysis; Hydraulic equipment; Steering; Steering components; Steering systems; Studies; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Electrohydraulic systems; Electromechnaical equipment; Hydraulic steering; Steering equipment; Steering system design
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00331598
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 12 1981 12:00AM