RIGID PIPE PROOF TESTING UNDER EXCESS OVERFILLS WITH VARYING BACKFILL PARAMETERS: SECTION VI; ANALYSIS OF EMBANKMENT SETTLEMENTS
Settlement data obtained from fluid settlement platforms, plate and rod settlement platforms and leveling at five zones of the Cross Canyon, 84-in. (2.13-m), reinforced concrete pipe, under 183 ft (55.8-m) of overfill, are employed in calculations of quasi-theoretical crown loads, using methods developed by Marston and Spangler. Soil stresses measured by stressmeters at the soil-pipe interface are compared with quasi-theoretical stresses assessed with settlement ratios obtained: 1) from the aforementioned data; and 2) using values published by Spangler based on statistical analyses of many past installations. Zones 1 (horizontal, steel, tension struts), 4 (entrenched), and 8 (entrenched, with polystyrene plank overlayment) are treated as positive projecting; Zones 9 (uncompacted soil overlayment) and 10 (baled straw overlayment) are treated as negative projecting with induced trench construction. Pipe in the five zones was Class II, with a 1,000D load rating. The analysis failed completely to predict the non-linearity of the soil stress-overfill functions where recommended, handbook values of the settlement ratio were used, and predicted soil stresses were much higher than the measured ones. Use of variable, measured ratios resulted in some improvement in crown soil stress predictions, providing some indications of non-linearity but, except in one (Zone 9) of the five cases, the quasi-theoretical soil stresses still greatly exceeded measured one.
- Work described herein was performed in conjunction with the research project entitled, "Rigid Pipe Proof Testing Under Excess Overfills Using Varying Backfill Conditions."
Sacramento, CA USA 95807
- Buchanan, M J
- Davis, R E
- Bacher, A E
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Backfilling; Embankments; Foreign; Ground settlement; Measurement; Overtopping; Pipe; Soil mechanics; Statistical analysis; Stiffness; Strain measurement; Stresses
- Old TRIS Terms: Backfills; Overfills; Stress meters
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Geotechnology; Highways; I42: Soil Mechanics;
- Accession Number: 00331196
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/CA/SD-79/15 Intrm Rpt., FCP 45I2-091
- Contract Numbers: D-4-133
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM