ICE EFFECTS AND SHIP PERFORMANCES DATA GATHERING SYSTEM ON BOARD THE ICEBREAKING BULK CARRIER M.V. ARCTIC
The decision to provide a permanently installed instrumentation system aboard the ice strengthened cargo vessel M.V. Arctic and to gather ice performance data over a number of arctic shipping seasons, was taken by Transport Canada in 1977. This paper describes the evolution of the scientific evaluation program, the development, details and installation in the ship of an instrumentation system, the data collection undertaken over two operating Arctic seasons and the results of data analysis achieved to this point in the 5 year program. The paper also reports on the operational experiences of the ship and its crew with respect to equipment reliability in Arctic service.
- Presented at Ice Tech '81 sponsored by the Eastern Canadian Section of SNAME, 16-19 June 1981. Proceedings price to members $30.00; non-members $45.00.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Hearnshaw, J D
- German, J G
- Benjamin, A
- Stirling, J
- Timonin, P
- Publication Date: 1981
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo ships; Data logging; Icebreakers; Icebreaking; Instrumentation; Operations; Shipping
- Geographic Terms: Arctic Regions
- Old TRIS Terms: Arctic operations; Arctic shipping; Data logging systems; Ss m.v. arctic
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00330898
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM