A PROVISIONAL CALCULATION OF THE ICEBREAKING RESISTANCE OF THE USCGC POLAR STAR
The Coast Guard extensively instrumented the CGC Polar Star and conducted icebreaking tests on several occasions. This paper presents the results of resistance computations based on selected portions of the data and makes comparisons with theoretical and model experiment ice resistance predictions.
- Presented at Ice Tech '81 sponsored by the Eastern Canadian Section of SNAME, 16-19 June 1981. Proceedings price to members $30.00; non-members $45.00.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- McIntosh, J A
- Welsh, J P
- Publication Date: 1981
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Fluid resistance; Force; Hulls; Ice; Icebreakers; Icebreaking; Instrumentation; Resistance (Mechanics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hull resistance
- Old TRIS Terms: Ice forces; Ice resistance; Ss polar star
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00330881
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM