SECONDHAND DRY CARGO SHIPS: A REVIEW OF TRENDS IN THE SALE AND PURCHASE MARKET
Vessel resale prices exhibit wide fluctuations, often within very short time periods and although freight market influences, and thus earning potential, are by far the most important determinant in the sale and purchase market, there are many other factors which can exert very powerful influences on second-hand vessel prices. Changes in the pattern and volume of seaborne trade can either create demands for different vessel types and sizes as well as make vessels obsolete, vessel age, condition and survey date and whether it is charter free, all influence price. Other factors such as the length of the current newbuilding orderbook and long delivery dates, the cost of vessel operation, specific nations shipping fiscal policies and pending action by national or international regulatory bodies, all play a role in determining a vessel's sale price. The study examines and analyses these and other factors as they have influenced the sale and purchase market for dry bulk carriers and general cargo vessels in the period 1975-1980. The growth and decline of specific countries' fleets through the sale and purchase market for dry bulk carriers and general cargo vessels in the period 1975-1980. The growth and decline of specific countries' fleets through the sale and purchase market will also be analysed. The study also identifies and analyses factors, which though perhaps not very important during the 1970s in determining resale value, will perhaps become increasingly important during the 1980s e.g. IMCO regulations.
- One of a series of ten Shipping Studies to be published in 1981 by HPD Shipping Publications. Cost per copy is $110.00, the entire series of ten $620.00.
HPD Shipping Publications34 Brook Street, Mayfair
London W1Y 2LL, England
- Publication Date: 1981
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Dry bulk carriers; General cargo ships; Market surveys
- Uncontrolled Terms: Second-hand ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Market studies; Survey reports
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00330316
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 93
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM