DISAGGREGATE FILE OF COMMODITY ATTRIBUTES AVAILABLE FROM CTS
A listing of over 1200 specific commodities and their characteristics has just been compiled to aid in the formal study of logistics and the day-to-day operations of freight transportation. Chosen on the basis of how well they represent the universe of commodities that move in commerce, the commodities are listed in a decimal hierarchy by industry and sub-industry, and are described by truck and rail commodity identification numbers and description. Attributes listed for each commodity are: plausible packing types, LTL class, TL class, minimum weight for truckload, density, value per pound, five year price change probable LTL packing, probable TL packing, hazardous material symbol, special handling requirements, and shelf life. A partial STCC-SIC bridge is also included. It is designed for use both as a shelf reference and as a data input for modeling.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyCenter for Transportation Studies, Room 1121
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
- Kuttner, W
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Freight transportation; Hazardous materials; Less than truckload traffic; Logistics; Packaging; Statistics
- Old TRIS Terms: Commodity statistics; Standard transportation commodity code
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00330175
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CTS 79-12
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 12 1981 12:00AM