FRICTION SNUBBER FORCE MEASUREMENT SYSTEM. DATA TAPE, TESTS RUNS 5 AND 6
Twelve field test runs were performed to measure friction snubber forces using a device developed by Wyle Laboratories, Colorado Springs. Reel 3 contains test runs 005 and 006. Four devices were installed on a Type I truck (the Barber S-2) which was placed under the B-end of a loaded open hopper car. Forty-eight channels of data were acquired on friction snubber force, car speed, automatic location detection, acceleration, and displacement at critical points on the truck and carbody. The first test run was made over branchline class 2 track on the Blue Diamond Spur near Las Vegas, Nevada. The test zone included both tangent and curved jointed rail with an uphill grade of approximately 1.8%. The test run starts at 20 mph at milepost 5 and continues until milepost 7, where the speed starts decreasing down to 2 mph at the end of the test at milepost 8.2. The second test run was made over mainline class 4 track with a downhill grade of approximately 0.8%. The test run starts at 50 mph at milepost 322 and continues until milepost 324.5, where the speed starts decreasing down to 5 mph at the end of the test at milepost 326.8. The significant test parameters associated with these two tests are: Car Type -100-ton open hopper; Car Orientation - B-end forward; Car Tare Weight - 63,600 pounds; Tare Weight 209,500 pounds; Type of Lading - empty; Truck Center - 40 feet, 6 inches; No. of Loco's - 1; No. of Cars Fore - 2; No. of Cars Aft - 2; Truck Type - Barber 70-ton; Wheel Base - 68 inches; Springs Group Out - 7 D5; Spring Group In - 4 D5; Stat Spring Comp - 11 inches; Center Plate Diameter - 14 inches; Center Plate Lub - Moly Disulfied; Side Bear B-End -Stucki double; Side Bear Clear - 0.23 inches; Snubber Type - load varying; Snubber Springs - 2 Barber B432.
- See also PB81-122772, and PB81-122798. Also available in set of 6 tapes PC T07, PB81-122822. Source tape is in ASCII and BINARY character sets. Character set restricts preparation to 9 track, one-half inch tape only. Identify recording mode by specifying density only. Call NTIS Computer Products if you have questions. Price includes documentation, PB80-129596.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bakken, G B
- Bates, E
- GIBSON, D W
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Curved track; Damping (Physics); Data files; Freight cars; High speed ground transportation; High speed vehicles; Hopper cars; Magnetic tapes; Modems; Railroad cars; Sets; Shock absorbers; Snubbers; Speed; Suspension systems; Tangent track; Traffic speed; Vehicle dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Low speed
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car dynamics; Friction dampers; Type i trucks
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00328306
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD/MT-80/72/3, FRA/DF-80/003
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM