ISSUES IN TRUCK SIZES AND WEIGHTS--FOREIGN TRUCK SIZE AND WEIGHT LIMITS
This examination of five vehicle size and weight limits in the nations of the world, covers maximum single and tandem axle weights, maximum gross weight, and the length permitted for tractor semitrailer and other combination vehicles. When compared with the current maximum U.S. limits, a majority of the rest of the world permits the operation of vehicles which are heavier in both (single and Landem) axle and gross weight, and shorter than equipment used in this country. This suggests the existence of more generous bridge formulae than those of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. However, few such formulae were found to exist. In other nations, economic need, more than concern over possible highway wear seems to be controlling the factor. The requirements of international container transport have influenced gross vehicle weights in Europe. Failure to provide for maximum gross weights in the 95,000 to 115,000 pound range to accommodate fully loaded 20- and 40-foot standard containers rated up to 67,200 lbs. gross weight, could seriously hamper American foreign trade and cause domestic inefficiencies in container operations. This report examines truck size and weight limits in Canada, Western Europe, Africa, Asia, Middle East and Oceanic, and South and Central America. High limits and other foreign limitations are noted. The relationship of road stress to vehicle weight limits is examined.
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Staley, R A
- Publication Date: 1981
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Axles; Bridges; Containers; Defects; Foreign; Foreign automobiles; Gross vehicle weight; International trade; Laws; Load limits; Pavement distress; Pavements; Size; Size and weight regulations; Tandem axle loads; Traffic; Trucks; Trucks by weight; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Articulated vehicles
- Old TRIS Terms: Foreign vehicles; Tandem axles; Truck laws & regulations
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Law; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Pavements; Planning and Forecasting; Vehicles and Equipment; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00335491
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: TSW-81-6 Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 28 1981 12:00AM