NONDESTRUCTIVE TESTING FOR LIGHT AIRCRAFT PAVEMENTS; PHASE IV, DEVELOPMENT OF THE NONDESTRUCTIVE EVALUATION METHODOLOGY
This study is the second phase of a two-phase program to develop a nondestructive pavement evaluation method to evaluate pavements designed to support aircraft with gross weights of less than 30,000 lb. A methodology that uses the deflection basin from nondestructive testing (NDT) to predict the elastic moduli of up to four pavement layers was developed. A computer program (CHEVDEF) was developed that predicts the moduli so that the deflection basin from a layered elastic solution approximates the measured basin. The nonlinear stress-dependent characteristics of the subgrade are defined. Moduli derived from NDT results are used in the PAVEVAL program developed in an earlier study (FAA-RD-77-186-I) by R. A. Weiss to predict the allowable aircraft loads. The subgrade elastic moduli described by this method compares well with laboratory test results and with results from other methodologies. The predicted allowable load from this method compares well with the allowable load from the dynamic stiffness modulus procedure. Appendix A presents a laboratory procedure for determining the resilient modulus of subgrade soils. Appendix B discusses the CHEVDEF program, and Appendix C presents a guide to the use of the computer program PAVEVAL.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS USA 39180-6199
- Bush III, A J
- Publication Date: 1980-11
- Pagination: 123 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport runways; Coefficient of subgrade reaction; Computer programs; Dynamic modulus of elasticity; Evaluation; Forecasting; Loads; Modulus of elasticity; Modulus of resilience; Nondestructive tests; Pavement performance; Pavements; Stiffness; Stresses; Subgrade (Pavements)
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Pavements; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces;
- Accession Number: 00335434
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-80-9-II Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT FA78WAI-848
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 28 1981 12:00AM