FIELD APPLICATION AND EVALUATION OF BUS TRANSIT PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
This research study was performed in two parts: 1) field examination of the use of performance measures, and 2) use of the performance evaluation model. The first part of this research surveyed 19 bus transit operators in the five state area of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. The study revolved around operations data collection, and the type and degree of performance evaluation in current use. An assessment of the adequacy of the indicators was performed. The current and potential uses of performance monitoring were evaluated especially in relation to the goals and objectives of the system. In general, the study concludes that about half of the transit systems visited collect enough operating data to inexpensively develop a comprehensive performance monitoring program. The second part of this study involved implementation of the Performance Evaluation Model developed that was basically designed to evaluate the effects on performance due to a short term change in fare, headway, or number of stops on a bus route. Several cities were selected. The actual operating statistics were compared to the model output. The model was also modified to provide for more ease of use, flexibility, and accuracy. The report states that the field tests for this model have indicated its reliable estimates of a variety of performance measures. This report contains a list of references, and includes a detailed user's manual describing the data preparation and program logic. (UMTA)
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/IN110005
- The Executive Summary of this study under the same title, Report Number UMTA-IN-11-0005-81-1 and is available through NTIS--Report Number PB 81-209330.
Purdue UniversitySchool of Civil Engineering, 550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafeyette, IN USA 47907
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Sinha, K C
- Guenthner, R P
- Publication Date: 1981-3
- Pagination: 132 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Data analysis; Data collection; Fares; Headways; Indicators (Instruments); Manuals; Mathematical analysis; Mathematical models; Measures of effectiveness; Monitoring; Operators (Persons); Performance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models; Operator
- Old TRIS Terms: Indicator characteristics
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00335424
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: IN-11-0005
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IN-11-0005-81-2Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 28 1981 12:00AM