IMPROVED TRANSPORTATION SERVICES TO THE ELDERLY AND HANDICAPPED IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA--PHASE 1. RESOURCE INVENTORY AND BARRIER IDENTIFICATION. SUMMARY REPORT
This study inventoried and examined the transportation resources currently available to the region's (Northern Virginia) elderly and handicapped population and identified the statutory, attitudinal, financial and administrative barriers which inhibit specialized transportation providers from participating in a coordinated transportation network. The first phase of the study discusses the legislative history, and the fragmentation and duplication of services resulting from the manner in which these services have been provided. Coordination activities are listed and the barriers inhibiting coordination between agencies are summarized. This phase also included a resource inventory and barrier identification survey, the findings of which are reported. The specialized services, the types of agencies, the clientele, and vehicle features are mentioned. A series of performance measures to assess the efficiency and effectiveness of individual providers are examined, as well as the statutory and programmatic restrictions limiting the provision of transportation to the elderly and handicapped. Data are also presented on past and present coordination activities and willingness to participate in such arrangements. The major findings of the study are summarized, the general conclusions and recommendations are presented, and areas for future research are suggested.
Northern Virginia Planning District Commission7309 Arlington Boulevard, Suite 300
Falls Church, Virginia United States 22042
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: Appendices; Tables;
- Pagination: 50 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Attitudes; Coordination; Data collection; Financing; Improvements; Inventory; Laws; Legal factors; Measures of effectiveness; Needs assessment; Persons with disabilities; Surveys; Transportation; Vehicle characteristics
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Geographic Terms: Northern Virginia
- Old TRIS Terms: Special service
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00334891
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 28 1982 12:00AM