UNDERGROUND EXCAVATIONS IN ROCK
This book deals with the geotechnical aspects of the design of underground openings for mining and civil engineering purposes. It contains a number of worked examples to assist the reader in applying the techniques described to his or her own problems. The data are presented under the following chapter headings: (1) planning considerations; (2) classification of rock masses; (3) geological data collection; (4) graphical presentation of geological data; (5) stresses around underground excavations; (6) strength of rock and rock masses; (7) underground excavation failure mechanisms; (8) underground excavation support design; (9) rockbolts, shotcrete and mesh; (10) blasting in underground excavations; (11) instrumentation. Several appendices deal with: isometric drawing charts, stresses around single openings, two-dimensional boundary element stress analysis, determination of material constants, underground wedge analysis, and conversion factors. A very extensive bibliography is included.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0900488557
- The ISBN of the hardback version of the book is ISBN 0900488 54 9.
Institution of Mining & Metallurgy44 Portland Place
London W1N 4BR, England
- Hoek, E
- Brown, E T
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 527 p.
- TRT Terms: Bibliographies; Bolts; Classification; Computer programs; Excavation; Excavations; Failure; Faults; Geology; Graphs; Instrumentation; Mass; Measuring instruments; Mining; Pits; Planning; Presplitting (Blasting); Rock bolting; Rock jointing; Rock mechanics; Rockbolts; Rocks; Shotcrete; Stability (Mechanics); Strength of materials; Stresses; Structural analysis; Structural design; Structural supports; Textbooks; Timbering; Tunneling; Tunnels; Underground structures; Wire mesh
- Uncontrolled Terms: Rock mass; Site investigation; Tunnel design; Underground (Geol)
- Old TRIS Terms: Excavation technology; Supports; Underground
- ITRD Terms: 6155: Apparatus (measuring); 8518: Bibliography; 5188: Blasting; 3888: Bolt; 6486: Chart; 8513: Classification; 5155: Excavation (process); 5702: Excavation pit; 5520: Failure; 4068: Fault (geomorphol); 4053: Geology; 4089: Joint (geomorphol); 3470: Mesh; 143: Planning; 4154: Rock; 4730: Shotcrete; 5722: Site investigation; 8645: Software; 5930: Stability; 5544: Strength (mater); 5575: Stress (in material); 5573: Stress analysis; 4372: Subterranean; 8526: Textbook; 3605: Timbering
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; I25: Design of Tunnels; I41: General Soil Surveys; I43: Rock Mechanics; I54: Construction of Tunnels;
- Accession Number: 00334720
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- ISBN: 0 900488 55 7
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 9 1982 12:00AM